The project contains the VHDL code for a complete DEC PDP-11 system: a PDP-11/70 CPU with memory management unit, but without floating point unit, a complete set of mass storage peripherals (RK11/RK05, RL11/RL02, RK70/RP06, TM11/TU10) and a basic set of UNIBUS peripherals (DL11, LP11, PC11), and last but not least a cache and memory controllers for SRAM and PSRAM.
For more details see the sections:
- Status: Systems and Issues, Releases, Statistics, Roadmap, Credits
- Implementation: Features, Architecture, Performance, Verification, Directory Layout, Source Code View
- Installation: Downloads, Build System, System Images
- Resources: DEC Manuals, DEC Patents, Papers, Other Implementations
For project news look into the w11 blog, the latest items are:
- 2016-12-11: w11 project moved to GitHub - To say something nice first: OpenCores is a very nice directory service f...
- 2010-07-23: w11 project on Opencores - The PDP-11/70 core is now available at OpenCores, see http://open...
- 2010-06-21: Yet Another PDP-11 in FPGA - Brad Parker just posted about his FPGA implementation of a PDP-11 ...
The work on the CPU and SoC triggered several related activities
Being a 'leisture time project' things evolve at a modest pace. Key milestone so far were:
|Jun-2017||added DEUNA Ethernet controller; functionally restricted, allows 211bsd with full networking.|
|Dec-2016||moved project from OpenCores to GitHub, now under wfjm/w11.|
|Jun-2015||added RH70 + RP/RM disks; TM11/TU10 tapes; now complete mass storage system.|
|Mar-2015||use Vivado; Artix-7 ports added (for Basys3 and Nexys4); added RL01/RL02 disks.|
|Apr-2013||new C++/Tcl backend server, w11a designs operate with rlink over USB.|
|Jan-2012||Cypress FX2 USB controller support added, rlink and config over USB.|
|Dec-2011||Spartan-6 port of w11a added (for Digilent Nexys3 board).|
|Jul-2010||OpenCores project w11 created; w11a V0.5 tagged and released.|
|May-2010||w11a systems ported to Digilent Nexys2 board; lots of cleanup.|
|Sep-2009||2.11BSD UNIX boots to multi-user mode on w11a on FPGA.|
|Aug-2009||UNIX 5th Edition boots on w11a on FPGA.|
|Jun-2009||Found 11/70MP system manual on bitsavers. Most of IIST implemented. Too early, but fun.|
|Dec-2008||Finished the last of three 2.11BSD patches, now 2.11BSD boots of a RK05 disk set and runs on a 11/70 without FPP in simh.|
|Mar-2008||Full system with CPU, cache, and minimal I/O system runs on FPGA.|
|Sep-2007||rri (rbus+rlink) implemented, w11a runs on FPGA (Digilent S3BOARD).|
|Sep-2006||CPU and MMU implemented, simple test codes run.|
|Jun-2006||Re-discovered a pile of PDP-11 manuals in a forgotten box full of old paper work. This triggered the idea, and with simh, ghdl and bitsavers at hand, 2.11BSD as target OS and a 11/74 picture as desktop background it quickly became a project.|